Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cupcakes




My roommate is the absolute bomb, and she's been wanting me to make these for a while. Last week, I finally had the time and worked up the courage to make them.

This is the first time I've successfully made gluten-free cupcakes from scratch, and I have to say that they were quite awesome. My family was shocked to find out that they didn't contain gluten, and I honestly had no idea how they would turn out since the recipe didn't call for xanthan gum. They were a smidge crumbly, and they also got a little dry when I put them in the fridge due to the cream cheese frosting, so I will probably just frost them as I serve them next time. Also, I really hate using food coloring, so my red velvet stuff is never vividly red. The reaction between the vinegar and the cocoa still gives them a red tint, though.

Both recipes adapted from this page

Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cupcakes

2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend of choice (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Stir together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt) and set aside. 
Mix together wet ingredients (milk, vinegar, vanilla) and set aside.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs individually until blended. Alternately add dry and wet ingredients until thoroughly blended and smooth.
Line muffin tin with cupcake papers and fill each with 1/6 cup batter. Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before icing.

Cream Cheese Icing

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar (but I honestly feel like I used more)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream together cream cheese and butter. Blend in sugar until you reach the desired consistency. Add salt and vanilla. Add milk or cream if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment